Development Projects

Development Project Overview 

To see a map of development projects throughout the City, click here. To learn more about specific projects, use the links to the left.

Development Review Process

Below is the typical review process for any development applications taking place within the City. The blue arrows indicate an action performed by the Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission (M-NCPPC), while the green arrows indicate an action performed by the City of Hyattsville. 

Development Process Infographic v2_Page_3

How Can I Give My Comments?

  • Speak Up HVL Website: When a development project is going through the review process, a forum will be created on the Speak Up HVL website. The forum will list the scheduled City Council and Planning Committee dates for the project, and includes a section where residents can post their comments on the project to the site. Residents can also "like" and respond to comments left by other users of the site. 
  • City Council Meetings: All City Council meetings have a “public comment” portion at the start of each meeting. Residents can fill out an information form at the meeting, which will result in their name being called to address the Council during the public comment portion. There is no need to register to speak before the meeting.
  • Planning Committee Meetings: The Hyattsville Planning Committee typically meets on the third Tuesday of the month at 7:30 PM on the second floor of the City Municipal Building. All committee meetings are open to the public. When a development project work session is scheduled, the applicant will present the project and then the Committee will ask questions and work through details. If time permits, the Committee will often allow guests in attendance at the meeting to make a comment as well.
  • Email: Comments about the project can be emailed to or to your appropriate City Council member. If you have a question about the project or the review process, it should be directed to Katie Gerbes at

Development Terminology

  • M-NCPPC: Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission. This is a bi-county (Prince George’s and Montgomery) commission created to plan and approve developments, preserve natural resources and provide recreational amenities. It is the land-use and zoning authority for all of Prince George’s County, except for the City of Laurel. The Prince George’s County Planning Department works under the M-NCPPC umbrella.
  • Conceptual Site Plan (CSP): A conceptual site plan is the first step in planning a largescale development. It establishes the general layout of the property, circulation system and differentiates the areas of the site that will be developed versus conserved. A CSP is not mandatory for developments, but is often used in large scale developments where smaller segments of the project will be completed in phases. CSPs are handled through the process outlined above.
  • Preliminary Plan of Subdivision (PPS): A preliminary plan of subdivision is required if a development will be subdividing lots, as is the case when building single family homes or townhouses that are fee-simple and will be sold to individual owners. It is not required for projects, or segments of projects, that will be held under one ownership. The preliminary plan shows the property lines for individual lots, as well as the internal roadway system. PPSs are handled through the process outlined above.
  • Detailed Site Plan (DSP): A detailed site plan shows the specifics of the development, including building architecture, roadway specifications, sidewalks, landscaping, open and recreational areas and infrastructure and utility locations. A detailed site plan is required for all developments meeting a critical mass threshold. In larger developments, it is possible to split the detailed site plan into two parts: the infrastructure DSP and the architecture DSP. This is done when significant utility work or grading needs to be completed before the applicant has their architecture plans complete. DSPs are handled through the process outlined above.
  • Special Permit (SP): A special permit is necessary to allow a use not allowed by right, but also not prohibited in a certain zone. Special permits often occur during unique projects, such as adaptive reuse of an existing building or when the details of the case are so specific and unique there is not a clearly defined process. Special permits are handled through the process outlined above. 
  • Variance: A variance is a departure from the adopted standards of zoning, land-use regulation, building code, or development standards. When part of a PPS or DSP, the variance will go through those processes to be approved. One off variances, such as building closer to a property line, are reviewed internally by City staff, then referred to the City Council for their approval.